27 March 2014

That other shoe?

It dropped yesterday. My whole plan for the day went completely out the window when, about 15 minutes after we woke up, I realized Ashton had a nasty, nasty cold. He was wheezing, hacking and coughing and I just knew I could not send him to Christine's. He made it through his EI evaluation and he did not qualify! Which is, overall, great news - he has made so much progress and all his skills now fall within the normal range. But bittersweet because Fran and Allison have become part of our weekly routine on Wednesday and Thursday mornings. They will each come one or two more times and that will be it :-/

Anyway, Jason left for work and I had resigned to spend another day inside playing trains with my boys as it was freezing out and Ashton was sick. But by 2 pm, Ashton was having a lot of trouble breathing and, long story short, we ended up spending two hours at the pediatrician. It was my first time out alone with both boys and let's just say, I cried the whole way home. We were a collective disaster, I was that mom in my sweats that could not take care of both of her kids at the same time. Ashton himself would have been a lot to handle - he missed his nap, had two nebulizer treatments and ultimately a dose of steroids and we were confined to a little exam room for two hours (the albuterol in the nebulizer is a stimulant for "some kids". Ashton most definitely is a member of that group.). Alex needed to be fed, thank goodness I had brought a bottle, because as I was feeding him Ashton took off down the hall and had I been nursing, I would have had to tear after him through the waiting room with my shirt open and the baby hanging on for dear life. One of those days.

So today we were home again because Ashton is still recovering and again, just no place to go in this cold weather. He's doing much better and to his credit, despite being sick, still plays at the same level. I had to change Alex so I left him playing nicely with his rice box on the blanket:


Of course, two minutes later I came back downstairs:


Rice.was.everywhere. But I didn't even care, the room needed to be vacuumed anyway. 

Then we rocked some shades for a while.


 And the rest of the day was the usual - duplos, books, Bubble Guppies on Nick Jr. We are definitely in our groove but the whole "not leaving the house" thing? Starting to feel it. Yyyyyep, starting to feel it.

I've gotten some questions about if we are sleeping, how the breastfeeding is going, etc. And the quick answers are: Alex sleeps in our room in the Fisher Price Rock N Play Sleeper (best thing ever) next to our bed on my side. He usually eats around 10:45 pm and then we go to bed. He's up around 2 am for 30-45 minutes to eat and be changed and then again around 5:30 am for another feeding. He still needs to eat every three hours and it comes around quickly let me tell you, especially considering it's 3 hours from the start of one feeding to the start of the next. I find he wakes pretty consistently and I don't have to set an alarm or anything. He's up for the day around 8. Luckily we have had no problems nursing but I really should pump so Jason can take one of the middle of the night feedings. What have I been doing? I should get on that.

Tomorrow Ashton has a followup at the pediatrician, my mom and sister come for a weekend visit, and we round out our second week as a family of four. Ashton's asleep and this is my view right now:


Not bad :) Sorry to everyone that I owe emails to and thanks for your patience!!

No comments:

Post a Comment