07 March 2014

Babywatch 2014

Well, it officially feels as though the entire world is waiting on me to have this baby. I made a catastrophic mistake yesterday morning too which beyond exacerbated the problem. Allow me to tell you what happened.

I woke up at 2:34 am, middle of Wednesday night, with contractions. Like, bad ones. The kind that made me go, "Oh my GOD I forgot how much these hurt!!" and the kind you can't even talk through. In the dark, I downloaded a contraction app (the same one I used for Ashton, it was just sitting there for me in the iCloud, isn't Apple so smart) and started timing. For an hour, they were 9 minutes apart and lasted for two minutes each. I thought, oh my gosh, is this it? This is it! As much as I wanted to wake Jason up, I didn't because there was nothing he could have done to help me. Annoying but true. Us pregnant women walk the line of pain alone. At least until the doctor administers the epidural. Anyway! At some point, the pain leveled out to a dull level 3 and I fell into a half-sleep for a couple hours. When I woke up at 6:30 am, I was still uncomfortable and could feel that something was going on so I texted my mom that I was almost positive today was the day, emailed my work that I thought I was in labor, got Jason up and prepared to pack my bag for the hospital (no, I had not done that yet). It was about 10 minutes after that that everything came to a screeching halt. And I mean screeching. Pain and contractions one second, no pain and no contractions the next. Hmmm.

Ashton has speech therapy on Thursday mornings and I had Allison come and go like normal. Chera picked Ashton up and it was 9:30 am and I looked at Jason and said "Welp, I guess we should go to work. No sense sitting around here all day! I'll call you if anything changes..." and well, readers, since then - nothing has changed. Except that I have had to explain myself to every person I see at Bentley over the last two days because they had all heard the rumor that I was in labor yesterday morning. To all the pregnant women out there: take it from me, read up on the differences between pre-labor and actual labor and really determine what you are experiencing BEFORE you announce to everyone that your baby is on its way.

While we wait, we are still thinking about names. And by we, I mean Jason. He is obsessed. He takes the baby name book with him to work and finds these obscure websites that promise to generate a perfect middle name based on what you enter for a first and last. He even writes names on post its and rearranges them on the coffee table like they are little game pieces. Last night I was too tired to care and told him flat out I didn't think we were going to come up with any new ones so late in the game. Lo and behold, he did! It was like finding a piece of gold in a river that you have already raked a thousand times. It went straight to the top of our (girl) list and then, like any true treasure hunter, we were inspired to keep going and find that same eureka moment for the boy list (I have had my favorite for a while but he is not sold on it). Anyway, hopefully when everyone hears our new son or daughter's name they will think it is absolutely perfect and I will give all the credit to Jason and his hard name-finding work :)

I have had a lot of people ask me if Ashton has any idea what is coming. The short answer is, "Um, absolutely not." Sure, he can parrot back to us that he's going to be a big brother but there is no way he knows what that really means. And I do feel a little...guilty? At the fact that I'm about to make him share his mom. Wistful? At these last few nights where it's just him and I. Scared? That he is going to act out and turn into a little monster. Lots of different emotions going on really.

Things have wrapped up at work and I am officially leaving each day like I will not be back. I have a wonderful temp replacing me for the next three months (and then hopefully I'll be back two days a week from June-Sept before resuming full time). I just trained her this morning. Luckily, she is flexible - I told her I plan to work until I go into labor, so her first day could be Monday or a week from Monday and she is fine with it.

So, all the pieces are in place, we have a couple different plans for Ashton depending on what day and what time this all goes down, and for now we are just waiting. Still 5 days from my due date but since everyone else is so darned antsy I plan to have spicy buffalo chicken for dinner ;) Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment