14 March 2014

A lot of detail for no reason at all

At the end of this post, you'll realize things are no different than they were at the end of the previous post, but you just can't make this stuff up. Thought I'd share my adventures over the last 36 hours. Oh, but still no baby, don't worry.

Yesterday morning, Thursday. I woke up and was making Ashton's breakfast before our speech therapist arrived at 8:15 am. All of a sudden...ummm!!! Did my water just break?? OMG! It never broke with Ashton and I was frozen to the spot. What should I do? A few thoughts crossed my mind, one in particular: when I was in labor with Ashton and arriving at the hospital, I met a girl who was on her way out as I was on my way in. She wished me luck and announced she was doing the walk of shame home. You see, she thought her water had broken and showed up to have her baby but, in reality, she had merely peed her pants. There are so many indignities in pregnancy and this story has always haunted me. How embarrassing! And to not know the difference!

So there I stood in my kitchen. Hmmm. Hmmmmm. My water? Or pee? I pondered, waited and eventually went to work. But it nagged me and I called my OB's office at lunchtime. I said, "I really don't know if my water broke, but if I'm leaking amniotic fluid, it would be good to know." They absolutely agreed and told me to come in. I saw a male OB who I didn't really know, but it was a quick test. Let's just say, I was not leaking amniotic fluid.

But something bigger arose and he was concerned about the baby's heart rate, which should be anywhere between 110-160. Baby Nill's was holding steady around 105. He sent me to Maternal Fetal Medicine at the other side of the hospital for a non-stress test. They are easy - you sit in a comfy chair with your feet up and have a monitor on your belly. A machine spits out a nice line of fetal activity on a piece of paper.

I sat there for about 45 minutes and in that time frame, had three very nice, strong contractions. The nurse in charge claimed I was going into labor. I said, "Trust me, I really don't think so." But she insisted on sending me up to maternity to be admitted (after agreeing the heart rate was a bit low, but very consistent with nice accelerations and tolerated the contractions just fine). So, up I went, registered, got a bracelet, the whole thing. They hooked me up to ANOTHER fetal monitor, at which point my actual OB came in. We chatted, I said, "I'm not in labor" and she agreed. "But I'm not worried about the low baseline. You can walk around for a couple hours and then I can check you again, or..." "I can go home?" and she said, "Yes. But I can put you on the list to be induced on Monday - would you want that?"

"YES."

So off I went, the only difference after two hours being that instead of wondering if I had suffered the same embarrassment as the girl from 2.5 years ago, I knew I had. At least I was at my own house. Although now that I'm announcing it on my blog I might as well have been in the most public place imaginable.

I spent the rest of yesterday and this morning (Friday) planning to be induced on Monday now. Until around 11:00 am today, when the scheduler called and said, "I know Dr. Konig put you down for an induction on Monday but..." and I held my breath. "Sorry honey, no way jose - we have too many people already." Come on! I was getting bumped again and she actually said No way jose? So I got scheduled for a routine ultrasound to check the fluid levels in addition to the regular appointment on Monday I already had.

Anyway, so that was that until about 6:00 pm tonight. We had just gotten back from a walk around the block and my phone rang. It was the same doctor who had tested for amniotic fluid, or uh, lack thereof. He said, "I'm sorry, but I'd really like you to come in for another non-stress test, preferably as soon as possible. I just wasn't happy with the results from yesterday. If I feel the same way after this one, I won't have you wait until Monday to be seen, I'll induce you tomorrow..." I was shocked and really surprised - if my actual OB wasn't worried yesterday, why was this doctor now following up with me? But of course, I went right away. Luckily Jason was not working and could stay home with Ashton. I arrived, re-registered, got another bracelet, did the non-stress test. The doctor came out and said, "Well this all looks perfect. Beautiful in fact...but...gosh, you know I hate to have you do this, but I'm going to ask you to come back in on Sunday for another one, just because of the results of your ultrasound." I said, "What ultrasound?" and he said, "The one you had yesterday?" And I told him I hadn't had an ultrasound since 18 weeks. At this point he was looking very confused and showed the nurse the correspondence that had been left for him. It said, "Please check in with Kristen Nill over the weekend due to x, y, and z...she needs a followup." Well, turns out, I wasn't the one they were looking for. Which is great, but I said, "I hope you figure out who DOES need the additional testing!" And he apologized for scaring me and all of that. I was relieved that the mistake was innocent as far as I was concerned, and that Baby Nill was fine. Then it occurred to me: "Sooo, I'm NOT going to be induced tomorrow." And he said, "Sorry, no. You are free to go - Dr. Konig will see you Monday as scheduled."

I walked out in a daze. This week, it's been four days of goodbyes and then next morning "Hello again, still here"s at work, three possible inductions, two non-stress tests, two different hospital bracelets, two days past my due date, one flood in my pants and...zero baby. Not to mention every time something happens I have to update several people, only to have to update them again when it turns out to be nothing. Perhaps I should change my approach there; good thing I have unlimited texting. But I'm exhausted and actually sick of myself at this point.

So Jason and I decided that today was my last day at work, no matter what. The back and forth is killing me, I'm at a good stopping point with a great replacement who is ready to start immediately. This baby could be another few/several/many days but I'm not going to think about that. I'll spend some extra time with Ashton, walk more, and keep waiting. See? I told you this post would leave off exactly where the other one did, with an appointment on Monday. But what kind of blogger would I be if I didn't tell you the whole story? Bye for now...

No comments:

Post a Comment