06 February 2014

All in a (snow) day's work

So nearly a year ago I posted about our first real snow day. I don't know what it is about this particular season, but the threat of a new snowflake has people sprinting to the store for bread and milk while calling their relatives to say farewell. I personally subscribe to the "We live in New England, it's winter, what do you expect?" line of thinking. But I do work at a university and understand why schools want to be better safe than sorry. So we had a snow day yesterday. Accumulation totaled 10-12 inches and it really didn't stop all day so it was a good decision to keep people off the roads.

As I mention in the post linked above, snow days don't hold the same excitement value that they used to. All my energy goes into entertaining a certain someone and if I fail, boy do I know it. Luckily, Jason was home too so this is what we did together to survive the day.

We painted.


We watched the plows go by.


We cheered for Daddy while he snowblowed.

We made a snowman. And by we, I mean Jason and Ashton. I sat just inside the sliding glass door in the kitchen next to the space heater ;) 


You're thinking, that snowman looks a little circus-like. I think it's the hat. Actually, the hat, eyes and buttons are Ashton's shape sorter that we repurposed:


I realized I had no coal, carrots or corncob pipes so I went digging in Ashton's toybox and settled for these substitutions. The mouth is a wooden piece of watermelon from his fruit cutting set. I'm nothing if not resourceful.

After a non-existent naptime (a whole other sordid story), we went out for a walk. 


Being dragged in a sled is exhausting work and sustenance was required.


You'd think that having snow and wind in your face would really detract from the snacking experience but apparently not.

Anyway, after a little sledding and a little walking, we ended the day with a monster Duplo train.


And then it was business as usual until about 9:30 pm. Jason and I were sitting there enjoying our fire and watching TV when this ridiculous noise started coming from our neighbor's house. Their snow removal guys had finally showed up and were snowblowing their driveway. At 9:30 pm. So I did what any almost-9-months-pregnant lady with a sleeping toddler upstairs would do. I shrieked and flapped my arms while glaring out the window and then sent my husband over there to handle things. He did. It wasn't exactly a friendly exchange but he proposed they move the cars out of the driveway and use the plow on their Jeep to move the snow. Or, you know, shovels. NOT a snowblower. So our neighbors had to come out blah blah blah and I think there was annoyance on all sides. But I was one step away from calling the police to report a noise disturbance if they didn't stop. Like, I had the number ready on my phone. I am a month away from my due date and had just spent all day cooped up in the house with a kid who didn't nap. Don't mess.

Anyway, LUCKILY I was able to settle back down and continue watching the very important Hollywood Week episode of American Idol. 

And that, my friends, was our snow day. I'm hoping to share some house updates in the next two weeks so I can stop with these kinds of posts ("Here's Ashton doing this: {INSERT PICTURE}" and "Here's Ashton doing this: {INSERT PICTURE}". My deepest apologies - that's just all I've got lately :-/ 

1 comment:

  1. Love your writing - you're doing great! I hope you have a GIRL! :)

    ReplyDelete