20 February 2014

A-ha Moment

Don't you love those moments where you learn something that you've never really wondered about, but now that you know, it makes perfect sense?

My sister was visiting last weekend and at one point I commented that her shirt was cute. She goes, "Oh, thanks, but look...it has these tiny holes in it." And pulled near the bottom of the hem to show me:


(Note: this is not her actual shirt but the result of my google image search to show likeness.)

I said, "Oh yeah, look at that. I've had shirts with those teeny holes too!" and before I could speculate on their origin, she goes, "Ben thinks they are moths."

Now JUST HOLD ON HERE. I've never seen a moth in my closet. Why would they hang out there and eat clothes? Those cotton fibers must be yummy? But then, my thoughts kept marinating: "Well, people do have cedar closets, and why else would moth balls exist??"

Mind = blown.

It made perfect sense. I just kept repeating, "Huh, well what do you know" to myself as I processed all this. It was one of those mysteries that I never considered a mystery because I thought I could say where the holes came from if asked. Like from those security tags in the store or something.

Why am I blogging about this. Because this morning, I opened my (new!) closet to get dressed, put on my black sweater, and saw this on my sleeve:


That is ONE BIG MOTH. In fact, that couldn't be a moth, so the only logical explanation - a mouse?? In my closet, flitting amongst my hangers? (I don't think I've properly documented my extreme uneasiness/downright hatred for mice on this blog, but I have a professional come out to make sure there are none, anywhere, EVER, in my house - let's just say that.) 

I shrieked for Jason. I showed him the hole. I said, "What could this be? I know it wasn't there the last time I wore this. It's like, bigger than the size of a quarter! No way it was a moth. Is there a mouse in my closet? A mouse couldn't do that, could it? What about a squirrel??" and on and on and finally he stopped me with a sheepish look on his face. "Oh, I've been meaning to tell you. When I was building the closet, my first pass with the drill went through and it caught on something...um, it was your sweater."

Oh.

Well, I'm not even mad. I hate this sweater anyway. In fact, I'm so ready to be out of maternity clothes that I was just grateful it was not a giant moth or a mouse or a squirrel. A drill hole is fine with me. I rolled the cuff over so you can't see it. On with my day.

Did anyone else know about those teeny holes being caused by moths or am I the last to know? Hopefully someone somewhere is having the same a-ha moment I did. That's really the point of this post :)

No comments:

Post a Comment