09 May 2016

Mother's Day

Well I have celebrated this day, let's see...one, two, three, four...five times now!! Whoa nelly. But Mother's Day is not a super big thing in our house. Historically it is a very busy work day for Jason so I usually spend it with the boys (go figure) and we usually do something outside. This weekend GG came down for a quick overnight, which was a lifesaver because on Saturday I was not feeling great and actually got to lay down for most of the afternoon, worry free. She took the boys on walks, made their lunches, played on the floor, all that good GG stuff. Thanks Mom :)

Plus the weather was crappy. I think by the time Sunday afternoon came the sun had not been out in six days. GG left, the boys and I took naps, and we awoke at 4 pm to glorious rays streaming through the windows. There was only one thing to do - I ran them into the ground on the tennis courts. Spring training!

They did a lot of intervals. Alex runs like a baby penguin, I could watch him all day it is so funny. Hot tip: you can get kids to do pretty much anything with a timer and they wore themselves plain out. Tired boys on Mother's Day is one of the greater gifts I could receive so I was happy :) The other gift I got looked like this.


I CAN NOT look at this picture without laughing. Jason gave this to me last night and I just could not stop. We are a family of alien spiders apparently.

Anyway, Jason also gave me a watch I have been wanting for about 8 years (seriously 8 years) and between him and the boys, I got lots of kisses and hugs. The best though is all the random times Ashton says "I love you Mommy!" totally out of the blue. He did it yesterday twice, once when I was reading to him and once when we were at the playground. I think he says it when he feels happy :) Between that and all the times he announced "Hey! It's Mother's Day!", I felt pretty good.

Because I forgot until it was just the three of us, I had to take my own picture. Here we were, 5:30 pm on Mother's Day 2016.


You know, a lot of people love to say how hard motherhood is, and it really is sometimes. But, parents or not, we all have tough days and they are different for everyone. The boys and I, we have some quiet times just them and me. I'm a very social person - I get my energy from having friends over, meeting people places, and getting out of the house. So quiet days with no plans are sometimes a challenge, although less and less so because the boys are becoming great company. Ashton talks nonstop, and Alex can light up any room. I feel like when we go places together we are our own little group. So for me, yesterday was less about Mother's Day and more about being grateful for my two companions that I enjoy so much. I love you both!! XO Ashton and XO Alex!!

No comments:

Post a Comment