21 May 2015

Happiness on a stick

I'm generating this post out of thin air, for the most part. I want to get something on the books before the long weekend and this is all I've got.

As a background, we are not a dessert household. There are never cookies, brownies, cupcakes, etc. laying around, mainly due to Ashton's egg allergy. Sometimes right before bed, Ashton will get a couple tablespoons of vanilla ice cream with a drizzle of Hershey's, but usually his only sugar is from his fruit snacks.

But now? It's popsicle season! Look for these in your grocer's freezer:


They are perfect for little hands, aren't super messy, and the boys love eating off a stick. To say nothing of the mystery of what color lies inside the white wrapper. Ooooooo the drama of opening one. The intrigue! It's jumping-up-and-down, hand-flapping excitement.

Last night, Ashton had a yellow and Alex got an orange and happiness abounded. Is that a word?


Ashton was going on and on about his popsicle. "Mmmmm! It's COLD! Mmmmm!" And then he said he really likes them. I said "Of course you do - who doesn't like popsicles?" It was rhetorical but he said, very seriously, "Owen." His cousin Owen or his friend Owen? I have no idea. Then he asked that I make sure no one was going to come into his house, open the freezer, get his popsicles and take them home. "You gonna make sure Mommy? You gonna make sure no one takes them? I don't want anyone to take them. MAKE SURE!" All right already with the popsicle paranoia! Sheesh.

Anyway, Popsicle is owned by Unilever and they did not pay me for this post. We just really like the minis and if there is anything these boys can teach us, it's that the little things in life (literally with these), can bring much joy. I am reminded of the job I had in college at Baskin-Robbins. (I went to William and Mary, and the scoop shop was right off the main strip of Colonial Williamsburg in Virginia - we were the second highest-grossing BR in the country - so busy! All the time!) Nearly every order that I handed over the counter resulted in a smile, especially the cones. Young, old, man, woman- if they didn't smile outright, something in their eyes lit up. Such a simple treat but such a thrill. Every time. It is a part of the experience that I will never forget (along with my hourly rate, which was $5.20, and the flavor I ate too much of, raspberry cheesecake). But even in the picture of Alex above, can't you see the twinkle in his baby blues? Mini popsicles = big treat. Highly recommend.

Soooo, Jason is working this weekend so I'm heading up to Vermont tomorrow with my two little men. I neeeeeed to visit my little sweetheart niece Callie! Catch you on the flip side...

No comments:

Post a Comment