16 June 2014

Back to workkkkkk

This has been a big week around here and I am very behind on my posts! I'll tackle my "back to work" stuff in this one and try to get to all the rest of it over the next few days.

Sooo last Wednesday was my first day back at work at Bentley. I've mentioned that my office agreed to let me come back part-time, Wednesdays and Thursdays, for the summer. This is unspeakably amazing and I am beyond grateful (especially to Tara, who took my place while I was out and is continuing on for Mondays and Tuesdays (Bentley is off Fridays in the summer) - if you ever read this, thank you for being so fabulous!!). So I'm really lucky because anyone who has ever had a 12 week old baby knows how little they still are and just don't get me started on the maternity leave/FMLA policies in the US. They are grossly inadequate.

Anyway, even though I would still be with my boys 5 out of 7 days a week through August, the knot in my stomach got bigger and bigger as June 11 approached. Alex wasn't great at taking bottles, I was worried about sending him to daycare and in general, dreading this first long day (8 am-5:30 pm) back at work.

And then I got lucky again. I had signed up for care.com in the off-chance that someone would be interested in my two-day-a-week position. There was the promise of something more full-time in the fall but it's still very open-ended until we see how flexible Jason can be. (Even though I had the boys all set to go to a home daycare, a nanny or babysitter was always my preference especially for Alex. I interviewed a few people but was resigned to the fact I likely wouldn't find someone by the time I needed to go back to work.)

Long story short, I ended up hiring Jen, who is 21, has her associate's degree in early childhood education, worked at Bright Horizons in their pre-k room for a year, and, the most amazing part: she lives two streets away. What are the chances? I knew immediately that she would be perfect and hired her on the spot. She already had a babysitting job lined up for June 11, last Wednesday, so my mom came down to watch the boys that day and she started last Thursday. It made leaving them much, much easier, knowing that they were in their own house with their own toys and napping in their own rooms, etc. vs. packing them up for daycare each morning. That and the fact that I came home for lunch both days to visit, pumped at work no problem and in general, going back to a job I love that is 5 minutes from home... = not bad! All this is to say, there were no tears. I didn't cry at all and was so proud of myself. But let's be honest: it's two days a week. I have no idea what we will do in the fall but I'm taking one season at a time.

So since the last time I posted, I went back to work, celebrated my soon-to-be niece at my sister's baby shower up in Vermont last weekend, wished Jason a Happy Father's Day, and re-did our mailbox (which means one of my beloved before-and-afters). And today, Alex turned three months old and we took him to the beach for the first time:


Family selfie attempt:


As you might imagine, getting Ashton to pay attention to anything other than his shovel was a lost cause.

Lots of posts to catch up on, but I am officially "back to work" and things are going very smoothly for being two days in ;)

Back shortly!

No comments:

Post a Comment