07 December 2016

Off to the races

IT HAS BEGUN. Pete the elf has arrived safely from the North Pole, our tree is up, our mantel is decorated, outside lights are strung, the holiday crafts and activities are in full swing and Amazon boxes are arriving by the truckload. Welcome to December!!

Technically we kicked it all off November 30. Kayleigh and Ariane came over and we decorated gingerbread houses.










We left them on the table that night where Pete could see them.

Let's talk about Pete the elf. He is a huge presence in our house and I would be lying if I said I was not ridiculously excited for his arrival. A lot of parents are like "oh we don't like to hold good or bad behavior over our kids' heads at Christmas, just make it be a fun thing" blah blah blah well screw that!! Most of the time the boys don't listen to what I say or do what I ask. But with Pete around? Stark raving obedience, that's what.

"Better pick up your Legos." OK MOMMY!
"Please come wash your hands before dinner." OK MOMMY!
"Can you get ready for tubby?" OK MOMMY!
"Let's get your shoes on." OK MOMMY!
I don't even have to add "Pete is watching" anymore! And it's not limited to my requests. The other day the boys started to argue and wrestle over something and Ashton instantly stopped, sheepishly looked up to where Pete was perched and said "NO Ow-wex (Alex), we can't do this right now!"

I love Pete. For the month of December, I deserve this glorious gift of Santa's scout elf. He arrives on December 1 and this year he brought a Lego advent calendar (thanks Papa and GG!) and a christmas book. See him there on the left? In the light?


Here is the video of the morning of December 1 of the boys discovering him (if you care, lol). The night before, they knew Pete would be coming and while Ashton was out of his mind with the thrill of it all, Alex was scared stiff. I mean, almost crying. He kept saying "I don't like Pete" "I don't want him to come in my room" etc etc. He clearly dealt with his feelings the next morning by calling him "poopyhead" or some variation of it. They are friends now.

This is the letter Pete left.


It launched a full on obsession and Jen told me the next day that she actually made Ashton take a break from talking about him.

If you'll recall, Pete goes up to report to Santa every night and each morning is resting in a new spot. He periodically brings back a gift or a craft. (Last night in an attempt to get the kids in bed, I said "Maybe if Pete likes our tree enough he will bring back something special from Santa! Let's go to sleep so Pete can leave for the North Pole!" They settled down well enough and while we did remember to move Pete, I did not leave out the holiday pajamas as I intended to. This morning Ashton bounded downstairs, located Pete but looked around and said, in the most forlorn voice, "I don't see anything. I guess Pete didn't like our tree." My heart very nearly broke. I'll have to save the day with a note tomorrow.)

So that's the tour de force that is Pete. Between all his drama and excitement we went to the Home Depot Kids Workshop and made an ugly "candy dish" where the main instruction was simply to get paint everywhere.




I even had paint under my chin by the time we were done. Thanks Home Depot!

Next up...all about our Christmas tree. We have an intense selection process and I'll be sharing all of our interview questions, physical requirements and performance capabilities that a fir must meet to stand tall in our house. Oh yes, it's that serious!!

No comments:

Post a Comment