02 August 2014

Before and After: Mailbox Overhaul

Our house came with a dirty, boring black metal mailbox. Behold.


It has been on my list as something to change out. After we painted our house and spruced up our entryway, I knew it was finally time to tackle it. The black clashed with the midnight blue and I also wasn't about to hang this sorry mailbox next to my cheery yellow door. I shopped around for a bit and really loved this style, but it was a monster at 16 inches wide. Too big. I checked Lowes and Home Depot and nothing spoke to me, so I decided to make do with what I had.

First, the mailbox needed a good wipe down. Once it was clean and I peeled off the number stickers, I realized it had a lot of bumpy rust spots. I went digging in Jason's tools and found lots of different sandpapers. I had no idea what grit to use so I chose the purple piece because it was prettiest.


That baby was smoooooooth, let me tell ya.

And then I sent it up to be spray-painted.


That's where I stopped taking pictures apparently because I can't find any more of the "during" process. Oh well, how many pictures of one mailbox can a person take? So I'll skip straight to the after:


I mean, what a showpiece! It proudly accepts letters and small packages from whoever wants to send us anything. I still need to hang it up but for now, that's the short story of how our ugly duckling mailbox became a swan mailbox. How I took a lemon and made lemonade. Found the silver lining in our cloud. Made the best of a bad situation. You get it. And if you ask me, the vinyl sticker gilds the lily. It's the bee's knees. The cherry on top. The icing on the cake. Sheesh, enough already, sorry. I'm just so excited, my sister is in the hospital in labor with my soon-to-be first niece and I'm beside myself. Literally any minute I could get the text that she was born!! Plus tomorrow is Ashton's 3rd birthday and we just got back from a week on Block Island so the blog will be seeing some more action soon! And more exciting action than a mailbox, I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment