19 August 2014

Before and After: Doorknobs

This post is going to rival the one about my mailbox in terms of excitement level. By the end, you'll look down and realize that your socks? Those things were knocked clean off. So here we go.

Our house was built sometime around 1920. We have fabulous vintage glass doorknobs that I have always loved and a very antique-y looking decorative panel behind it. What I have not always loved is that they are a tarnished, scuffed gold color. Observe.


There is a doorknob and panel on each side of every main door in the house, and also hardware on the inside of the closet doors as well. There are upwards of, oh I don't know, 10 doors? It doesn't sound like a lot but each set went through the following beautification process.

First, I unscrew the knobs and panels and give them a good wash. Then, and this is the most annoying part, I have to tape off the glass part of the knob just so.


Then I gin up some sort of box-structure that can support the knobs being pushed through from below, leaving only the metal part showing. I punch the screws in, lay the panels, and spray baby spray.


Patience is the key virtue here. The spraying itself takes 8 seconds, but you have to take your time with the proper taping and also give it plenty of time to dry in between coats. This particular set belongs to Ashton's door - Jason took him to Long Island for three days (hellooo peace and quiet!) so this has been the first opportunity I've had to take off the door hardware for the amount of time needed to pretty it up. They left Sunday and I just screwed it all back on this morning after three coats of paint over two days.


A true before and after:


Isn't that so much nicer? But you can see why this takes so long. I made the mistake of trying to do a bunch of sets at a time a little while ago. Screws got lost and things didn't fit when I tried to put the hardware back together after mixing up the parts (this stuff is old old old!). But now I am just about done and basking in my oil rubbed bronze transformation.

You are now free to go find your socks.

No comments:

Post a Comment