16 March 2015

Messy Hair Don't Care (Alex's first haircut)

We've got a birthday in the house! Alex turns el numero uno today! We had a mini-party for him last night and he gets more presents tonight so his official 1 year post will likely be tomorrow. But that doesn't mean I can't blog about a very important milestone! It happened yesterday, there were a few tears, but he successfully had his first haircut! There's some old wives tale about waiting until a child turns one before cutting their hair, I don't know the science behind it (haha, like there is any) but regardless, I abided by it.

The last month or so, Alex's hair had gotten particularly bad, in a constant state of "every which way".


It was in his eyes, covering his ears, and the back had a weird flip thing going on. Saturday afternoon, I took him and Ashton to a children's concert and in 30 minutes, had three different comments.

"Oh, your baby! Look at his hair!"
"Your baby is so cute...wow his hair is crazy!"
"I can't believe his hair..."

These were not entirely compliments. They were prompts for me to explain myself, and all three times I said, "Oh I know, he actually turns 1 on Monday and we are taking him for a haircut..." Sigh. Poor Alex. But in fairness, he WAS a mess. So was Ashton at age 1:


(For the fun story of Ashton's first haircut ---> click here).

So yesterday at 4:30 pm I loaded Alex up and off we went to SuperCuts. Nope, 30 minute wait. Next, Glenn's Barber Shop. Nope, 15 minute wait (Alex has not been very patient lately - I thought, are we literally going door to door begging for a haircut??). We finally landed at the Hair Cuttery. I asked a random lady to take some pictures and although Alex cried a lot, his head didn't move much, so we were good!

It's probably obvious, but the before is on the left ;)



And the in-betweens, finishing with a flourish (er, scowl).


It was $13, he got a First Haircut certificate and I took a few snips of his locks home in a baggie. Success! Look at this handsome new baby.


Just in time for his birthday cake :) I'll say it my next post, but Happy One Year to my sweet Alexander! I could squeeze you to pieces!

p.s. his hair was back to crazy this morning, but at least it's now a shorter crazy!


1 comment:

  1. OMG this was the cutest post ever, and little Alex looks so different with his big boy haircut! Both of them are so handsome. Good job, Mama :)

    ReplyDelete