09 January 2015

Christmas!

So the question on everyone's mind: Did Ashton's head pop off on Christmas morning due to the sheer force of his excitement??

I'm happy to say, his head remains in place. He didn't transform into a category 5 hurricane either, which we had braced ourselves for. He did think every present was his, and in the beginning, after tearing the paper off one gift, went right on to the next without even bothering to look at what he had just opened. We made some efforts to slow down and after that, we had a nice little Christmas morning, aside from Alex feeling miserable. I think the wrapping and tissue paper frenzy perked him up a little, but in general, his nose leaked, his eyes were droopy, and he whined a lot.


Poor baby. Cute pjs, but not a great way to spend a first Christmas. And poor me! I was up a ton with him the night before and wiped out. The first pictures Jason snapped were, uh, less than flattering. But this blog is for better or for worse so I'll include all the ones I think best represent our morning (spoiler alert: they are all crappy. Like, royally. Not that our morning was crappy, just the pictures.).


I included that last one so you could see the carnage. But did I get a family picture? No. What about one of the boys in their new pajamas? Mmmm, not exactly. I kind of failed in the photo department over the entire break, as a matter of fact, but it was actually a good thing because it meant I didn't have my phone with me a lot of the time. I was much more present because I wasn't trying to document everything! It was nice.

After presents, stockings, and breakfast, we packed up and hit the road for Hampton Bays and Grandma and Grandpa's house. 3 hours and 45 minutes later, Ashton finally, FINALLY fell asleep in the car. 10 minutes after that, we were there. Perfect timing (not).

The main highlight from Grandma and Grandpa's house were that the boys wore matching outfits for the very first time. Ties! They were so cute even with no smiles. Ashton was in Santa detox and Alex still didn't feel good :-/ Best result from the photo shoot with Daddy:


Best result from the all-boys photo shoot. Not saying much.


And a couple more of my favorites: Ashton waiting to pounce on Alex's gift,


Grandma making her famous antipasto while Jason cuts up filets,


And Alex and Grandpa, just chillin :)


Look at their feet! So cute. Anyway, we also got to go to the beach a couple of times, the weather was gorgeous, sunny and warm! Not in the traditional sense, but it was nice to get out, go for walk and search for shells and other treasures. Jason and I got an afternoon of shopping in at the Tanger outlets and before I knew it, we were back home and then heading up to Vermont for Christmas Round 3! A much quicker trip (too quick!). First Kari and Ben's, where the boys were obsessed with their little cousin Callie. Honestly, it was like Alex had never seen a baby before ;)



A little eyepoke never hurt anyone. Right?

Then Poppy and Mema's, where we were so busy playing with all the new toys I took ZERO pictures, and then GG's, whose biggest gift was suggesting we go use the toddler splash pool at her gym! It was warm, about a foot and a half deep, and probably the best winter activity I could imagine because I didn't have to go in. That's what husbands are for. Ain't nobody want to see me in a bathing suit right now.


 Alex had his tongue out the whole time and Ashton was exhausted. Success!

To sum up, we put about 1,000 miles on our car over the holiday break. I was really nervous going into it with such long car rides but the boys, thank Christmas, were angels. Ashton tested my nerves a little by simply.never.shutting.up. from the backseat. But minus that and minus Alex's week-long cold, I could not have asked for smoother trips (notice I didn't use the word "vacation" - no such thing exists with kids! haha).

That's a wrap on Christmas. On to the new year and new adventures...Happy 2015!

No comments:

Post a Comment