09 April 2014

Alex's First Bath (and a couple other highlights)

WARNING: Infant nudity in this post.

You know how babies have that sweet baby smell? Alex's is just as wonderful but by day 12 of life, he was getting a bit sticky. The general rule is that you have to wait until their umbilical cord heals and falls off before giving them their first bath. I thought this happened on day 10, but it turned out to be a raisin that Ashton had dropped on Alex's bouncy seat.

Anyway, once it finally occurred Alex got his first kitchen sink bath. Only the best spa-like conditions for my baby! Luckily, it did not wash off his sweet smell :)

Right before the big event: greasy hair and dirt spit up on his shoulder.


It's go time.






 Where's my towellllll?


Squeaky clean :)


Like most babies, he loved the warm running water and had no problem lounging in the tub. First bath = success!

What has not been a success lately are the nighttimes. Alex has been super fussy, to the point where he seems physically uncomfortable due to gas or some other gastrointestinal distress. I took him to the pediatrician yesterday and we ruled out reflux because he doesn't spit up or vomit. She  said it could be a lactose intolerance and advised me to cut out all dairy and soy. Sigh. This is not a new thing, I had to do it for Ashton too, but it's hard! The cow's milk protein won't be completely out of my body for two weeks so there's no way to see any results really until then. Ashton's at Christine's today so I need to hit the grocery as there is not much in this house I can eat right now. I think soy is going to be hardest - it's in like everything. Very sneaky, soy is.

Also turning out to be unsuccessful are Ashton's food allergies. His bloodwork came back and his doctor advised not to do the food challenges at this time. I guess it didn't look as good as he thought it would. They will check him again in a year so there won't be anything new on that front for awhile.

Ashton continues to be hit or miss with Alex. He does love to "hug" his brother, which is really him laying his head somewhere on Alex's body.


But he also loves to rock or bounce Alex in whatever seat he is in to a precarious tipping point. I supervise, but I swear Alex is usually one degree from going over and I'm not entirely sure that's accidental.

We've spent a lot of time this week out at the playground, scootering, and oh Ashton got a haircut.


The next time I take him I think I will spring for the crew cut. He's never had a complete buzz (you know, with the little spike in front) and with summer coming...we'll see. It's just hair, so if it looks bad, it'll grow ;)

That's about all from our little household for now! 

No comments:

Post a Comment