15 June 2013

A Nice Little Saturday

Jason works a lot. Umm, a lot. His new job has been going extremely well and he is pouring his heart and soul into it. I am 100% supportive but as a result, Ashton and I often find ourselves to be a two-man circus (I'm sure you can guess who is the ringleader and who is the act). By the time we woke up today, Jason was long gone and we had nothing but a long beautiful day ahead of us. It was one of those clear-blue-sky, almost-hot-in-the-sun-but-not-quite, slight-breeze kind of days. Gorgeous.

We got a late start, so late in fact that I packed his breakfast to go and fed him in the car on the way over to Somerville for a playdate. The playground has a great splash park but I didn't even think about the water being on and I forgot to pack any kind of aquatic clothing. So I sent him in with his jeans on. Pretty sure he didn't know the difference.


We played for an hour, came home, and went for a walk around the block. Ashton found some mud in no time.


Just sat right in it. Great. We turned around, hosed off, and it was time to eat.


Sorry for the blurry picture. The point is, he ate almost his entire meal with his head resting on his left hand. Apparently lunch was boring.

While Ashton was taking his nap after that, I gave some love to this little patch of irises we have in our backyard. They originally lived in the front, scattered here and there, and when we landscaped it and dug them out we decided to plant them in a group at the end of our driveway, just to see if they grew. Because why not. And they have done beautifully, grown tall and strong since the transplant, but not necessarily many flowers. The little bed they live in has been so invaded by weeds that during my free naptime hours, I decided to clean it all out and mulch it. There is no before picture because it is simply too embarrassing, but imagine it looked like this:


No discernible species whatsoever. And now it looks like this:


Ta-dah! Ignore the, um, otherpatchygrass. Isn't it lovely? I opened the garage and got out the mulch and everything! All by myself! Dear readers, this is no small feat. The maximum amount of yard work I've ever done is to watch Jason mow the lawn.

Anyway, I felt productive about that. I haphazardly picked at other weeds around the house until Ashton woke up and it was all systems go. Are you ready for splash park #2? I said, ARE YOU READY for SPLASH PARK #2?!

We were no lightweights this time. In color-coordinated lycra, sugaring up with a frozen yogurt and taking in the scene:


And then we stormed it!

For that last picture where Ashton is pointing, I thought about doing a caption contest. Like, "YES this is my shovel! Don't mess!"

(Lol. Sorry, I get carried away sometimes. In real life it was nothing like that.)

After our splash, we went to the Craft Beer Cellar in Belmont Center in an attempt to get a cool six-pack for Jason for Father's Day, because isn't that the equivalent of flowers for men?. A) It was beyond crowded and B) Ashton was WILD. Wouldn't let me hold him and ran around laughing maniacally. We left empty-handed. Sorry Dad.

Got home, ate dinner and then had some nice crayons al fresco.


I can't even explain how beautiful it was outside. A perfect 10. We watched some airplanes in the sky, some birds flit between branches, and then it was time for bed. In NEW pajamas, isn't that the best? (A note: I bought the PJs on clearance at Old Navy. I thought, hmmm. Size 18-24 months. These will be a bit short, but they are $2.49...eh, he can squeeze.) Turns out they are perfect. Who doesn't want capri-length in the summer anyway?


Ashton's bedtime process begins around 7:15 pm and takes anywhere from 30-45 minutes depending on whether there is a bath involved. We had such a great day today that when I was singing him his goodnight song, I found myself wishing he could stay up longer. He was so good, I love him so much that I am sometimes afraid of squeezing him like, too hard. I think every mom knows what I'm talking about! Hope you all had equally wonderful Saturdays :)

1 comment:

  1. I love reading these..you make me laugh! JP

    ReplyDelete