04 September 2012

First Day

Hi readers, thank you so much for the outpouring of thoughtful notes and well wishes that I received for my first day back at work! It really made me feel good. My overall review as Executive Academic Coordinator at Bentley University is positive, although I do admit to feeling a little blue right now. Nothing to do with my job itself, the people could not be more wonderful and flexible and the benefits and time off could not be better. Just a little sad that this is my new routine - more work, less Ashton. Although I was surprised that when I left the house this morning I did not immediately feel anxious to get back to him. I drove to work, stayed the whole day, and drove home without missing him so much that I felt that my heart was going to burst, which is what I expected! I didn't cry one time. Being at Bentley felt natural and stress-free, and for that I could not be more grateful. When I walked in the door at 4:45 pm Ashton was there and smiling and it did not feel as though I had been gone for 8 hours.

Now the job itself seems to be a little of this, a little of that. Honestly I think it's going to be what I make of it. I directly support the Dean and Associate Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences (FAS), and in that regard I am responsible for assistant-type duties. But that's maybe half of the job - the other half is charged with professional development of the Academic Coordinators under me, implementing new programs and training procedures and also putting together all the meetings and events for FAS (the other half that makes up Bentley's whole is the Business school). So if someone asks me what I do, I guess I'd say I work for one of the Deans at Bentley, without getting into specifics which basically all fall under the title "Miscellaneous". I'll be honest, it's not my dream job, but the ridiculous amounts of time off, short work day and commute, benefits, perks, etc make up for it and it's just what I need right now because Ashton is still my number one priority. And I feel like this position will allow me to keep it that way, so I'm happy. But that was just today. Tomorrow is Day 2. The next day, 3. And so on, and so on. Forever. Sigh.

No comments:

Post a Comment