31 December 2015

Inauguration

Just a quick note documenting one of the greater gifts of 2015: Ashton had his food challenge today down at Boston Childrens Hospital and I am proud to announce that after 4 hours and 6 increasing doses of peanut butter, he is officially cleared of his allergy! The CAT/CR staff could not have been nicer, and we had Legos, movies and art supplies to keep us busy. It actually went by fast! I would have been a nervous wreck had it not been for our October 1 visit to Five Guys. Ashton opened up his burger and the bun had sesame seeds all over it. No good, as that's his worst allergy. He got a hot dog instead and was very happy. After we had eaten I looked around and noticed not only buckets of peanuts on other tables, plus their shells on the floor, but huge boxes marked PEANUT OIL basically every direction I turned. I looked at Ashton, looked at the fries, looked up at the signs...how had I missed it?? This restaurant was basically Ashton's death trap.

Luckily, he seemed to have no problem with the fries cooked in peanut oil and I breathed a huge sigh of relief (I've known for months that this allergy was very mild, just had not gotten around to scheduling the food challenge). So going in today, finally, I was very hopeful he would pass. And he did :)

We still have eggs and sesame to conquer (the egg allergy is likely to subside, sesame not so much), but for now, please welcome the newest member of the peanut butter eating club!


No comments:

Post a Comment