28 September 2015

Movin' On

Well I can sum up our weekend in three words: “packing and moving”. In a previous post I did note that we have a big 16 foot pod that will be picked up on Wednesday, but Jason (and Uncle Berg) have taken several trips over the house in advance with bins, boxes, etc. We were granted access to the house on September 20th, and it has been beyond amazing to get a head start with moving everything. Ashton of course has been right there in the mix.





 He literally followed Jason and Berg everywhere yesterday. When they moved stuff into the pod he ran circles around them saying “Don’t drop it! Guys, don’t scratch it! BE CAREFUL!!” A little policeman. It was so funny.

The sellers also gave us permission to do some work on the house before the close date, and by the skin of my teeth I lined up someone to refinish the floors (they look brand new!) as well as paint (the purple-gray in the family room was not my taste). Both of these were several day projects and I’m so happy we were able to squeeze it all in. I desperately wanted to replace the carpet in the bedrooms (the sellers had two big dogs, which is why we did the floors to buff out their claw marks) but I just could not get anything new installed in time for a reasonable price. So tomorrow we have a crew coming to deep clean the house and shampoo the carpets, and then a guy coming Wednesday morning to stretch/restaple them – I’m hoping they are sparkling. Honestly I’m so skeeved out by used carpets but I’m told it washing them should do the trick. Anyway, the best we can do for now and then we move in!

As I mentioned, the family room and dining area were repainted, along with the boys’ bedrooms and the master bedroom. I took a chance in the master and went with Benjamin Moore Willow Creek…Here’s the (very UN-high resolution) before:


And the after:


Now I know you're thinking, the before picture was so light and airy! Trust me, it was not a good beige color, plus all the trim was cream. I want to really cozy up this space and give it some wow factor - it's starting with the paint! I promise you'll agree with me :) Anyway, all the new updates will come in due time with a brand new set of before-and-afters!

What was great about this weekend was that it was absolutely beautiful and we took the boys over on Saturday morning for the first time. The playset and swings in the backyard could not be more perfect for them and they wasted no time.




The best part is that the slide has a small hump in it so that when Alex hits it, he flies a little bit and the momentum is just enough to catapult him onto the ground at the bottom. He loves it.

Overall I’m a little sad about leaving Edenfield Ave, it was such a wonderful first house for us. In the grand scheme of things though we lived there less than 3 years and are ready for our next step. I've lined up a modified work schedule where I will go in earlier and leave earlier. I'll actually be out at 3 pm on Mondays and Fridays and head straight to pick up Ashton from school. Until I figure out the Natick preschool situation, he's going to stay where he is and commute with me (but he will go MWF for longer days, vs. all five days until lunch, which is his current routine). I think I mentioned Jen is going to make the trip and will continue watching Alex and sometimes Ashton on Tues and Thurs.  I do need to find the best route to Bentley. But first things first: get through this week! Our new house is waiting... one more day!

p.s. the month long yard sale? We made $1,007!!

No comments:

Post a Comment