05 February 2015

Open wide...

Ashton took his first trip to the dentist today! He was totally ready to give up mid-procedure but then pulled himself together and walked out with his head held high.

I know that they are pediatric dentists so they are totally used to the hesitant, scared little kids that come in, but the whole place was amazing. Ashton was so calm, I couldn't believe it. He sat in the big chair and they gave him this stuffed dinosaur with shockingly life-like human teeth, very strange creature this was, but Ashton took to it instantly and got busy brushing while the dentist counted his teeth. He has 20.



He did not want to take his coat off and he didn't want me to take mine off either. Like we weren't staying or something.

When she asked him "Do you brush your teeth in the morning or at night?" he told her "I brush my teeth when it's dark outside." She looked at me and I said, "I know, sigh, we only do it at night..." and got the "You really need to do it in the morning too, and start flossing" response. Add it to the list...

So she counted his teeth and we hit a serious snag when it came to the rotating toothbrush. Ashton was petrified of it and after 4 teeth, got out of the chair and cried that he wanted to go home. It took a good 5 minutes of coaxing (and bribing with prizes) but I eventually got him back up there, she finished and did his fluoride treatment and that was that!


He got to take home a blue glittery toothbrush (not the one in Dino's mouth), some stickers, a little glider airplane, a pencil and a tattoo. And some fun flossers.

I fully expect that he will announce to his teachers tomorrow morning that he has shiny new teeth. Someone get me some sunglasses!

Anyway, we go back in 6 months, and 6 months after that, and 6 months after that, FOREVER. Great post huh? Haha ;)

1 comment:

  1. It's great that your kid's first dental trip went well. Yeah, you should go to clinics that not only have expert dental care, but are also sensible enough to know that their patients are children, and can adjust accordingly.

    Shannon Barrett @ Best Care Dental Center

    ReplyDelete