03 August 2012

12 Months - Part 1

Well, here we are. My baby is one year old. I have thousands of pictures and hundreds of videos, so I'm not quite sure how to accurately capture what a milestone today was. I think for this post, Part 1 of the 12 Month series, I'll just do a quick recap of how Ashton spent his day. We are throwing his big first birthday party on Sunday and I have sooo many things to do. But for now, let's start with a quick glimpse of Ashton exactly one year ago:


One year later, it's August 3rd, 2012. We had our usual playtime in the sun right after waking up:


If you're looking to book an appointment with Ashton's hair stylist, I'm afraid you're out of luck. His crib does not have a phone number.

Poppy and Mema were here for a quick visit so we went out for a big boy first birthday breakfast!


He was so good, he ate his watermelon and yogurt and the mess we left behind was far smaller than I anticipated.

Attempt at a family picture back at the house after breakfast. After regarding Poppy fairly heavily (look at that chin?!) Ashton decided he had had enough and was ready to walk around some more.



Yes, I said walk. Well,

toddle  (ˈtɒd ə l) 
— vb  (foll by round, over, etc )
1.to walk with short unsteady steps, as a child does when learning to walk


But boy, that's some technique right there. See you at the next Olympics.

There was more of his usual shenanigans...


And then we hit a speed bump after his second nap. A little "It's my party and I'll cry if I want to" type thing :)


Luckily he pulled himself together just in time to look like Brad Pitt's baby son from A River Runs Through It:


If you're thinking that Brad Pitt didn't have a baby son in A River Runs Through It, you are correct. That's because Ashton hadn't been born yet and they couldn't cast the role. If you're also thinking that Ashton really doesn't look like Brad Pitt and I'm totally delusional...well, a mom can dream. 

Later on, more toddling in the park with Tate...




By the way, he simply will not let go of the blue Chuck-it. He clutches it for dear life in the house and generally just feels better holding it when we are out and about. So funny - for anyone that doesn't own a dog, it's a tool to throw a ball extra far. You might have seen it in the above pictures, maybe I'll make it a "Where's Waldo" type thing if he continues to be so attached to it.
Last picture of us before bedtime:


And last thought of mine before I sign off: Happy first birthday Ashton. I have to repeat a quote from another blogger (way more popular than me) who said that to be a mom is to walk around with your heart literally outside of your body. This could not be more true and although I have had what at times has felt like a tough year, it has generally been full of a different kind of joy than I have ever known or ever could have imagined. Stay tuned for first birthday party pics and the nitty gritty statistics after our 1 year pedi appointment on August 13th (12 Months Part 2 and 3 respectively). 

Um, I have a toddler. Holy sh$%#^&*t. (Sorry Mom ;) )

No comments:

Post a Comment